Divine Associates Ltd.

USA Visa Types

Millions of individuals cross the US border annually. To remain legally in this country, the majority of them require visas. In the USA, there are about 185 different categories of visas. Immigrant and nonimmigrant visas are the two primary categories of visas.

Nonimmigrant visas, e.g., student, tourist, or work visas, are issued to those who plan to stay in the US temporarily.

Immigrant visas are held by people who settled down in this country and want to live and work there permanently.

Nonimmigrant USA visas

Foreign visitors who wish to temporarily enter the United States must apply for nonimmigrant visas. The precise type of visa depends on the itinerary. These could be connected to travel, employment, commerce, or medical care.

Depending on the objective of the trip, numerous sorts of visas may be issued under immigration legislation. To secure a business visa (B-1), an applicant goes straight to the U.S. embassy or consulate. Before requesting a visa, people who wish to study or work in the United States frequently need to submit supplementary paperwork.

On the USCIS or U.S. Department of State websites, you can get information on all kinds and regulations.

Please be aware that a visa simply verifies your right to enter the country; it does not ensure your admission. The airport where you arrive will provide the final approval.

The primary nonimmigrant visa categories are listed below:

  • Business/Tourist Visa – B1 and B2 visas are nonimmigrant US tourist visas issued to business travelers intending to arrive in the United States for temporary reasons.
  • Work Visa - issued for those who intend to work in the USA
  • Student Visas - implemented for young people who want to study in the US
  • Transit Visa (C Visa) - transit visas are addressed to those who pass through the USA to reach another destination (e.g., transfer at the airport)
  • Journalist and Media Visa (I Visa) - this type of Visa is addressed to foreign journalists, reporters for magazines and newspapers, or other employees of electronic media like producers, editors, etc.
  • Domestic Employee Visa - the Visa of this type may be given to people traveling to the United States with their employers. Among eligible arrivals are nannies, chefs, au pairs, gardeners, and other employees hired to care professionally about the employer or his family. These persons may apply for a B1 visa. 
  • Ship Crew Visa (D Visa) – is a document issued for members of a ship or airplane crew working on the territory of the United States.
  • Religious Employees Visa (R1 Visa) - persons eligible for this Visa must work for a well-known religious institution. These are workers living and working in a reputed religious denomination located on the territory of the USA. They are priests, catechists, rabbis, church workers, etc.

Immigrant USA visas

Foreign people who wish to live and work in the USA permanently are issued an immigrant visa (Green Card). As a result, he desires to apply for the status of lawful permanent resident (LPR). Typically, sponsors apply on behalf of newcomers. For instance, experts or investors can independently submit an application for an immigrant visa. Applications must be verified by USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services).

When the CBP Officer verifies and approves the visa application, the applicant gains the right to a permanent residence and becomes an immigrant.

On the USCIS or Department of State websites, you can find detailed information about visa types and requirements below.

  • EB-1 (Extraordinary Ability green card) - only persons with extraordinary skills like artists, scientists, doctors, businessmen, or sportspeople who are the best among other talented people in their discipline. The applicants for this type of visa must prove great achievements and support them with rich documentation. An example of an individual eligible for the EB-1 visa is a Nobel Prize winner.
  • EB-2 – this visa type is also issued to talented and skilled persons who work in arts, medicine, science, or business area. The officials responsible for verifying visa applications classify arrivals by their skills, knowledge, experience, etc.
  • EB-3  – this work and stay permit involve fewer requirements than EB-1 and EB-2 visas. In this case, applicants must prove they have a permanent job offer from a U.S. company, but they may be both professionals and unskilled workers.
  • EB-4 – this document is issued mainly to religious employees, U.S. government employees, armed forces members, Panama Canal Zone workers, etc.
  • EB-5 (Immigrant Investor Programme) - this green card may be obtained by investors who will use the required amount of money to invest in a U.S. business. The visa holder is permitted to live and work in the United States.

Along with a variety of visa categories for people with various occupations, religious beliefs, life experiences, and nationalities, the US government has established the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). Through this program, qualified visitors can enter the USA for leisure or business purposes and remain there for up to 90 days without a visa.

Eligible visitors must fulfill all conditions and acquire ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) permission before traveling. If they would rather have a paper visa, they can still apply for a guest visa.

Send inquiry:



Welcome to Divine Associates Ltd.

× How can I help you?